My Dog Drank Antifreeze! Help!

Antifreeze is an important fluid to keep car engines running cool.  The liquid, antifreeze, is a combination of water and special ingredients that are good at moving heat away from an engine block and not freezing during temperatures that drop below freezing in the winter.  The technical term or scientific term is Ethylene Glycol and this is the ingredient in antifreeze that prevents the liquid from freezing and also can make our dogs sick if they drink it.

Signs Of A Dog That Drank Antifreeze

Symptoms can show up in dogs as soon as 30 minutes and up to 12 hours after drinking the antifreeze, all breeds are different.  If you suspect your dog drank antifreeze, be sure to contact your vet or pet hospital immediately.

  • Tremors
  • Short and Rapid eyeball movement
  • Depression
  • Wobboly Movement
  • Increased Thirst and Urination
  • Decreased relexes
  • General sense of being out of it, something like when a human is drunk.

Symptoms will increase and get worse as time passes.  Vomitting and Diahreha will become evident after time up to 36hours later when a dog drinks antifreeze.  Organ failure and body shutdown can occur.

What Do I Do If My Dog Drank Antifreeze

Take your dog to your veterinarian immediately.  Time is of the essence.  If the vet can confirm Ethylene Glycol Poisoning, they will induce vomiting, administer charcoal to slow absorption and administer IV fluids to help flush your dog’s system out.  Your dog will need to be hospitalized for a few days and monitored in most cases.

If you are absolutely positive that your dog drank antifreeze, if, within the first hour, you could induce vomiting to help remove the toxin from their system.  It is best to get your dog to the vet as quickly as possible and leave this to the professionals.

Why Do Dogs Drink Antifreeze

Ethylene Glycol, the main component of antifreeze is sweet.  If you smeel it, it smeels sweet, people that have accidently drank it describe it as sweet almost sports drink like flavor.  Dogs are drawn to this sweet aroma and if given the chance (remember they don’t know better) will lap it up.  They won’t taste bitterness or know it is bad until it is too late.

How Did My Dog Find Antifreeze?

Many people that work on their cars at home might have to change the fluid in their radiator from time to time or experience a radiator leak.  Collecting and leaving this fluid out, or allowing a puddle of this fluid to form in the driveway is a perfect opportunity for a dog to find it.  I love having my best friend next to me while I work on a car, but it is important to be mindful of them and what they are doing.  They don’t know better and can easily end up eating or drinking something they shouldn’t!

So be mindful and stop a problem before it even starts.  Seal your fluids properly or leave fido inside while working on such things.

My Dog Drank Antifreeze! Help!

Antifreeze is an important fluid to keep car engines running cool.  The liquid, antifreeze, is a combination of water and special ingredients that are good at moving heat away from an engine block and not freezing during temperatures that drop below freezing in the winter.  The technical term or scientific term is Ethylene Glycol and this is the ingredient in antifreeze that prevents the liquid from freezing and also can make our dogs sick if they drink it.

Signs Of A Dog That Drank Antifreeze

Symptoms can show up in dogs as soon as 30 minutes and up to 12 hours after drinking the antifreeze, all breeds are different.  If you suspect your dog drank antifreeze, be sure to contact your vet or pet hospital immediately.

  • Tremors
  • Short and Rapid eyeball movement
  • Depression
  • Wobboly Movement
  • Increased Thirst and Urination
  • Decreased relexes
  • General sense of being out of it, something like when a human is drunk.

Symptoms will increase and get worse as time passes.  Vomitting and Diahreha will become evident after time up to 36hours later when a dog drinks antifreeze.  Organ failure and body shutdown can occur.