First – What is CBD Oil Exactly?
CBD is short for cannabidiol, which is non-psychoactive compound in hemp and marijuana. CBD has been found to have many benefits for humans, and it interacts with a system of neurons in our body collectively called the Endocannabinoid system. Dogs have this system as well!
So, yes, CBD can affect your dog and NO, your dog will not get high from CBD oil, as it doesn’t or well shouldn’t contain THC, which is the compound that is psychoactive. No, right here we will say it, do not give your dog anything containing THC, that can be toxic to them.
Why Oil for CBD?
The compounds from marijuana or hemp bind really well to fat soluble items, in such as a transport layer, oils (olive, coconut etc) and butter are excellent means to store and ingest these compounds. Its also then easy to bake with, creating gummies, treats and much more. Mixing into food or water is very easy as well.
What types of CBD products exist for Dogs?
CBD for dogs comes in a range of products from oil, to tinctures and treats.
Here is a selection from one of our affiliate partners:
Is CBD Oil or CBD Treats safe for my dog?
The general consensus is yes. With anything moderation is important and if you try it for your dog, smart with small dosages and see how they react. The safety and risks of using CBD for dogs have not yet been researched. The FDA has not approved CBD yet. And always check with your veterinarian first.
What side effects exist for CBD Oil for dogs?
Although no scientific data exists on this, they could experience similar side effects as humans which include:
• Drowsiness: The calming effect of CBD could cause your dog to be sleepy
• Low-Blood Pressure: Especially in higher dosages, CBD has been known to cause a temporarily drop in blood pressure.
• Dry-Mouth: It may make them more thirsty
• Appetite: This could go both ways, they could become more hungry or less hungry, their eating times may vary. Generally it is on the more frequent side, they will probably have a higher appetite for food.
What are the benefits of CBD oil for my dog?
There are many aliments afflicting dogs that CBD oil can help address.
• Arthritis – CBD has anti inflammatory properties that can alleviate arthritis and its consequences.
• Pain – Because of the CBD anti-inflammatory properties, pain can be reduced or eliminated with the right treatment plan
• Anxiety – CBD has a calming effect in humans and dogs, it can be similar to taking a Valium for the dogs. Particularly helpful during stressful times like moves, thunderstorms and noisy times like July 4!
• Seizures – CBD has been shown to reduce the number of seizures and the severity of them in humans and dogs. If your dog is prone to seizures, you will want to talk to your vet about CBD for your dog.
• Sundowners – As dog’s age, they can develop anxiety when the sun sets and become restless at night. The calming effects of CBD have been shown to alleviate this condition.
• Appetites – Is your dog a fussy eater? Or maybe hasn’t been interested in food? Try some CBD it has been shown to increase the appetite of its user!
Wrapping Up The Ultimate Guide to CBD oil for dogs
There is no shortage of media and content out there touting the benefits of CBD oil for dogs. Overall, it seems to be an excellent option for our pups to seek relief from their ailments. So if your dog has pain, anxiety issues or seizures, it would be a worthwhile conversation to have with your vet.