Firstly – Dont Roast Me
While we are dedicated to the conversation about our favorite “K9’s” aka dogs, we are pet people, we love all animals. Cats included. When it comes to health and well being, we believe this is an instance when we can cross party lines.
First – What is CBD Oil Exactly?
CBD is short for cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive compound of the cannabis plant. CBD has been found to have many benefits for humans, and it interacts with a system of neurons in our body collectively called the Endocannabinoid system. Cats and Dogs have this system as well! So yes CBD Oil For Cats is a thing!
Do not worry, your cat will not get “high” from CBD, as it doesn’t contain THC, which is the compound that is psychoactive. No, right here we will say it, do not give your dog anything containing THC, that can be toxic to them.
Why CBD Oil for Cats?
The compounds from cannabis bind to fat soluble ingredients like olive oil, butter, coconut oil etc. These are excellent means to store and ingest these compounds, along with being natural and not unhealthy for consumption. Its also then easy to bake with, creating gummies, treats and create goodies that your cat will enjoy eating. Mixing into food or water is very easy as well.
CBD Oil and Cats, What Products Exist?
Is CBD Oil for Cats Safe?
The general consensus is yes. With anything moderation is important and if you try it for your cat, smart with small dosages and see how they react. The safety and risks of using CBD for dogs have not yet been researched. The FDA has not approved CBD yet. And always check with your veterinarian first.
What side effects exist for CBD Oil for cats?
Although no scientific data exists on this, they could experience similar side effects as humans which include:
• Drowsiness: The calming effect of CBD could cause your dog to be sleepy
• Low-Blood Pressure: Especially in higher dosages, CBD has been known to cause a temporary drop in blood pressure.
• Dry-Mouth: It may make them more thirsty
• Appetite: This could go both ways, they could become more hungry or less hungry, their eating times may vary. Generally it is on the more frequent side, they will probably have a higher appetite for food.
What are the benefits of CBD oil for my cat?
There are many ailments afflicting dogs that CBD oil can help address.
• Arthritis – CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate arthritis and its consequences.
• Pain – Because of the CBD anti-inflammatory properties, pain can be reduced or eliminated with the right treatment plan
• Anxiety – CBD has a calming effect in humans and cats, it can be similar to taking a Valium for the cats. Particularly helpful during stressful times like moves, thunderstorms and noisy times like July 4!
• Seizures – CBD has been shown to reduce the number of seizures and the severity of them in humans and cats. If your cat is prone to seizures, you will want to talk to your vet about CBD for your cat.
• Sundowners – As cats’s age, they can develop anxiety when the sun sets and become restless at night. The calming effects of CBD have been shown to alleviate this condition.
• Appetites – Is your cat a fussy eater? Or maybe hasn’t been interested in food? Try some CBD it has been shown to increase the appetite of its user!
Wrapping Up The Ultimate Guide to CBD oil for cats
There is no shortage of media and content out there touting the benefits of CBD oil for Cats. Overall, it seems to be an excellent option for our pups to seek relief from their ailments. So if your cat has pain, anxiety issues or seizures, it would be a worthwhile conversation to have with your vet.